Sales Tip No. 28 - New Year Rapport BuildingJanuary 18, 2017
New year, new accounts, new opportunities for many sales people and account managers. Then, as we enter 2017 many markets seem to be heating up and so some sales people start to get a little complacent, some even aggressive (thinking they are being assertive!). Even in an up-market taking time to build rapport is still important, so here are 5 reminders for building rapport:
1. Be empathetic - put yourself in the customer's shoes.
2. Use good listening skills - ask open questions, prove you are listening with active listening techniques.
3. Be assertive not aggressive - if you are "challenging" the customer be careful how you do it.
4. If you say you'll do it, do it - promises are easy to make and even easier to break.
5. Talk at the customers level - you are there to understand the customer's needs and explain what you do, not show off what you know.
If you want more detailed information about rapport and empathy email me and I'll send you a white paper.
Rapport - make it happen, don't wait for it to happen!